Written by Kristen, kids yoga, vinyasa yoga, hatha yoga, and yoga twist instructor at Hot Feet Fitness.
Here is an outline to bring yoga geared toward kids into your home. This is an outline of ideas with an outer space theme. You can do all of it or parts of it. Whatever works best for you!
Outer Space Theme -
● May I be happy, may I be peaceful, May I be safe, may I be kind.
● May you be happy, may you be peaceful, may you be safe, may you be kind.
Review of expectations: We stay on our mats unless directed to do otherwise, we stay focused on ourselves and not each other.
● Start standing with feet together, hands at the heart in prayer. (Mountain)
● Stretch up to the sky (Salute the sun)
● Fold down to the toes (Forward fold)
● Jump the feet back (Plank)
● Lay on your belly and lift your heart (cobra or up dog)
● Lift the hips up high making a triangle (down dog)
● Jump or walk feet to hands (forward fold)
● Reach up to the sky (Salute the sun)
● Return hands to heart (Mountain)
Repeat 2 or 3 times
Breathing - Star Visualization
Imagine a bright star shining overhead. It is unique just like you. What color is it? How bright is it? How does the light move through space? Start to imagine this light shining down through the top of your head. This unique star is your star, it is special to you and its energy can go right down through the top of your head. See the light coming into your head and lighting up your face. You can feel the energy of this star down into your hands. It will continue to light up your heart. Your tummy. Down into your legs. It lights up your hands and feet. Take a moment and just feel that special light from your star in your hands and feet. How does it feel? Does it tickle or tingle or vibrate? Does it take on a new color? Are there places in your body that are brighter or duller? Stay sitting as long as needed.
Pax lived on planet Beserk. Pax was a peaceful Alien who loved the quiet stillness.
● Alien pose (Make up an alien pose.) All of his friends loved to stay up late being loud playing music and dancing.
● Telescope pose (cobra) One day he decided to take a rocket and leave his home planet to see if he could find a quiet place.
● Rocket pose (chair pose and then jump)
● Galaxy pose - hip circles
● Shooting star pose - tip toes walking around mat. Opposite arm and leg lifts.
● Comet pose flow (side angle to peaceful warrior - sweep hand forward, then back)
● Child's pose - It seemed like most of the universe was big and loud and scary.
● Reverse tabletop - Then he sees a black hole. At first it seemed quiet and calm, but as Pax got closer it turned out to be more than he had bargained for and he was sucked into the black hole. Then Pax arrived in our galaxy.
● Sun pose (Mountain pose)
Partner Planet poses
● Dwarf plants - smallest circle holding hands
● Neptune - lean into each other hands high
● Saturn - warrior 3
● Jupiter - biggest circle we can make holding hands or feet and hands
● Orion's belt pose (tree) back to back
● Asteroid (reclined over rock)
● Boat feet together - Pax arrived on the most colorful planet and saw the yogis meditating and saw how they shared the practice with each other and it made them stronger. He decided he could learn from them and bring this knowledge back to his home planet.
● Ease pose back to back breathing - Pax returns to his home planet and decides to teach meditation. He teaches his whole planet how they can enjoy music and dancing and also enjoy quiet and stillness. He teaches them how to calm down and they teach him to go with the flow because teaching and learning go hand in hand.
● Crescent moon
● Star gazing pose (Savasana)
High Energy Game -
● Stop and go yoga pose. "Rocket man" Elton John musical yoga mats. Play the music while you move like you are an astronaut in space.
● Asteroid toss, scarves or pom poms, through hula hoop.
Reading a poem and/Or Visualization - MISSION PEACE – Today is an important day and you feel excitement growing inside of you. Taking a deep breath through your nose you begin to feel calm and more focused. Today you will travel with your fellow astronauts into outer space. You slip one leg and then the other into a silver jumpsuit that has been selected as your official uniform for your travel. You fall in line with your team and find yourself walking through the exit door and down a ramp towards the shuttle. You climb the steps that have been placed in front of
the shuttle and wave at the people that have gathered to watch the blast off. Inside the shuttle you see a circle of seats and you land in the nearest one. You slip one shoulder and then the other into the harness seat belt that will secure you in this powerful take off. You look in front of you and notice the floor is a window and you will be able to view the entire landscape around you during your travel.
The intercom announces your departure and the four... three... two...one… launch has become a reality. You feel the power of the release as you are sent into the atmosphere and find yourself looking at the earth as if it were a pea. You see the light change as you move into outer space and take a deep breath to calm your ever- growing excitement. You now see particles of light, chards of meteor and a darker horizon. The atmosphere has shifted and you observe a hair comb float by you. Your team member laughs as he realizes he forgot to take his comb out of his pocket before entering the shuttle.
You know your trip will be short as time is reduced when you travel this fast. You look forward to your mission. Stars are around you now and there are pieces of hazy matter you are not familiar with. The area is dark and you realize you have traveled far beyond the earth’s orbit. The intercom informs you that you will soon be landing on your destination and you take yet another breath to calm your building anticipation. You feel the landing and are instructed to release your harness, move into the outer chamber and suit up for your mission. It is only ten steps to the exit and you begin to move.
As you place the outerwear over your jumpsuit you find that you are weightless and must move slowly in order to keep your balance. You place the helmet with oxygen over your head and as the inner chamber door locks you step through the opening outer exit. Out into a world that is unfamiliar and resembles a mystical version of your planet earth. You have been chosen to place the flag into the crust of this new planet and you begin to do so with the support of your team. You stand back and admire the design that has been developed for this mission and notice the colorful symbol and letters warm your heart. Each letter has been carefully designed to put the intention of your mission into the energy of this place.
You smile, and know that the PEACE you have chosen to represent this mission will generate the intention of the entire planet earth. Peace, shanti, the message we all wish to place into our future. Feeling complete and content you move with the small team back through the shuttle door and decompress in the inner chamber. Removing your suits, you move back into the inner shuttle where you secure your seat belts and prepare for the return voyage. Taking a deep breath you now relax and know you have made a contribution to the world and can feel proud of your mission. The Peace shuttle lifts and propels from the new found planet to carry you home.
Meditation - Peace (unity) begins with me
● Well wishes
● Closing OMs